A sign of hope for an Iowa family.Their son is making progress, after fighting the flu.
Jaxson Ridout is from Waukee. His family is celebrating because he woke up from a medically-induced coma this week, after complications from the flu.
At A Glance: 7-Year-Old Jaxson Ridout was hospitalized Friday due to complications from influenza. Doctors put him in a medically induced coma to allow his body to fight against the virus. He is awake today and showing signs of recovery, but his condition is still guarded.
Why It Matters: Jaxson’s story is representative of every parent this flu season. According to the CDC, 37 children have died from the flu since October. This year’s deadly strain of the flu virus has taken its toll on children and the elderly and has left millions fearing that they will catch and succumb to the virus.
The Stats: Here are the latest statistics provided by the CDC on this flu season, which began in October.
- 37 Children have died from the flu this season.
- 513,252 people have been tested for the flu in the United States.
- 83,450 people tested positive, or 16.3 percent of all who were tested.
- 11,965 people have been hospitalized due to the flu between Oct. 1 and Jan. 20.
- The majority of hospitalizations occurred in adults over 65 years old, followed by adults between the ages of 50 and 64.
The Projection: So far, the Flu season has not officially peaked, but a CDC spokeswoman said this week that it is possible we are in the middle of the peak. This doesn’t mean you are safe from the flu, but once the season officially peaks, the virus will be on the decline and you will be less likely to get it.
Read More about Jaxson Ridout: UPDATE: Iowa boy wakes up from coma after complications with the – KWWL – Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings